The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Service Dog Instructor
at our campus in Smithtown, NY (Long Island). This position reports to the Service Dog Program Manager and is responsible for training “client ready” service/hearing/seizure/facility/combination dogs and effective student handler/graduate instruction in the use of those dogs. Instructors’ are responsible for the quality of Class training as well as for any apprentices’ dog and student training that is assigned.
We’re looking for someone who has the experience of training service dogs, is results driven and is passionate about growth, innovation and collaboration.
- Qualified ADI Instructor status or one to two years’ experience as an Instructor. Familiar with positive reinforcement training methodology.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Two or more years of college level courses in animal husbandry, physical education, psychology, teaching or allied field.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States. Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing and able to travel throughout the US to perform home/military base training and aftercare visits.
- Must be able to maintain a string of dogs which includes walking a minimum of 2 miles per day.
- Capable of safely handling a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 9 pounds with varying strength and manageability.
- Able to communicate via voice mail and email, able to effectively use Microsoft Office, spreadsheets and database applications.
- Possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Must be capable of working weekends and holidays, in the event that a placement is scheduled or assisting in a special event.