The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Service Dog Training/Class Supervisor & Apprentice Program Manager
at our campus in Smithtown, NY (Long Island). This position reports to the Chief of Program Operations and is responsible for developing apprentices to become members of a high-profile group of certified service dog instructors. This includes preparing dogs for consumers, apprentice development as well as guiding and evaluating class instructors in matching dogs to students to assure safe, quality dog/person teams. As a high level member of our Training Department, this position assumes a number of ancillary duties outside class, apprentice and dog training responsibilities.
We’re looking for someone who has the experience of training service dogs, is results driven and is passionate about growth, innovation and collaboration.
- Qualified ADI Instructor status or has completed a service dog apprentice program who has the ability to train positive reinforcement training methodology.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Capable of safely handling a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds with varying strength and manageability.
- Able to communicate via voice mail and e-mail, able to effectively use Microsoft Office, spreadsheets and database applications.
- Possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Be able to travel regularly for extended periods (approximately 12 days), capable of working weekends, holidays and occasional overnight.
- Be willing to attend training seminars to further education and receive additional certifications in the service dog field.
- Have a valid driver’s license in good standing and be able to drive a car or van or bus. Have authorization to work in the United States.