The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Part time Prison Puppy Advisor in Cumberland Maryland
. This position reports to the Prison Program Manager. The advisor provides dog obedience and task training to the inmate handlers. Coaches and supports weekend puppy raisers’ socialization activities and maintains obedience training in an effort to maximize each dog’s potential success as a service dog.
We’re looking for someone who has dog obedience experience, is results driven and is passionate about growth, innovation and collaboration.
- Qualified Puppy Advisor has at least two years’ experience in dog obedience instruction and ability to manage volunteers.
- Excellent presentation, teaching and public speaking skills.
- Trainer certification from a reputable agency. High school diploma. Technical degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing and able to travel, overnight travel may be required.
- Must be able to maintain a string of dogs which includes walking a minimum of 2 miles per day.
- Capable of safely handling a variety of large breed dogs, weighing up to 90 pounds with varying strength and manageability.
- Able to communicate via voice mail and e-mail, able to effectively use Microsoft Office, spreadsheets and database applications.
- Possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Must be capable of working weekends and holidays, in the event that a placement is scheduled or assisting at a special event.