The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Facilities Manager at our campus in Smithtown, NY. This position reports to the Director of Administrative Services. Our organizations are distinctive in the assistance dog industry providing both guide and multiple types of service dogs.
The Facilities Manager is responsible for establishing the processes to assure all facilities of the Organizations are maintained, in working order, and improved as necessary. This role supports the entire team in the fulfillment of the Organizations' missions.
Works with the Maintenance Manager to proactively manage and plan, preventive, and corrective maintenance activities, major repairs and or renovations. Ensures work is completed satisfactorily by external vendors. Supervises the care and efficient operation of facility equipment and fleet vehicles. Monitors and reviews proposals from outside vendors for supplies, repairs, and other services. Collaborates as needed with IT Manager and other leadership on various projects and needs. Coordinates safety inspections.
Ensures compliance with minimum operational safety standards. Establishes relationships with vendors and, business partners. Works with the Maintenance Manager to monitor the coordination and experience of on campus events. Assists in the development of the annual operating budgets
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Ready and able to assist with hands on day-to-day maintenance tasks and projects. Ability to repair electrical, plumbing, HVAC and/or manage janitorial tasks that outside contractors do not perform.
• Primary point of contact for facility related vendors / contractors. Communicate with contractors, clients and team members via email, fax or phone.
• Works with the Maintenance Manager to schedule and supervise maintenance repair work and assists with preventative maintenance scheduling of HVAC and all building equipment and services including elevator inspection, fire alarm & smoke detectors, backflow etc.
• With the assistance of the Administrative Coordinator, maintains a contact list of primary vendors and required service / account numbers, maintains files of warranties, records, licenses, inspections, service agreements and contracts for various pieces of equipment and services
• Works with construction contractors for renovation or new build projects. May act as a Clerk of the Works for some projects.
• Ensures compliance with state and federal and insurance regulations with respect to building safety and maintenance. Assists with energy (including clean energy) management projects.
• Primary point of contact regarding storm preparedness, sand distribution and snow plowing duties and other tasks associated with emergency storm conditions.
• Performs other related duties as needed and assigned.
• Aware of Foundation Safety rules and procedures, ensuring that the functions of this job are done in the safest possible manner and encourages co-workers to do likewise.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Associate degree in Business, Engineering, or equivalent Technical professional level experience.
• 2-4 years of experience in facilities maintenance or equivalent related functions. Background in building services, engineering, office management or administration is preferred.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software, especially with reference to a ticketing system and manufacturers’ websites.
• Knowledge of OSHA and other environmental regulations
• Knowledge of general maintenance methods, operating requirements, and safety precautions related to facilities management
• Must be a well- organized, detail and customer (internal and external) oriented self-starter
• Strong procurement and negotiation skills.
• Ability to pick up and push or pull 50 to 80 lbs.
• Employee is required to: stand, walk, push, pull, kneel or reach overhead and bend to
• the floor.
• Exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or exert 1 to 20 pounds
• of force frequently.
• Near acuity and accommodation is required for ability to see and read mechanical instruction, parts on equipment etc.
• Ability to react to environment, distractions, or to determine if danger exists with mechanical, electrical or boiler installations.
• Ability to read forms, documentation and computer screen.
• Ability to interact with staff, contractors, salespeople over the phone and in person.
• The employee is subject to daily outside elements, traffic,
• Running machine noise levels as well as inside kennel noise.
• Employee is exposed to cleaning and antibacterial solutions, oil, dust and hydraulic fluid.
• Employee is also exposed to animal dander and hair in confined areas such as vans and kennels.