The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Manager, Guide Dog Programs at our campus in Smithtown, NY. Our organizations are distinctive in the assistance dog industry providing both guide and multiple types of service dogs.
The Manager of Guide Dog programs is directly responsible for the staffing, supervision and training of personnel in the Guide Dog Foundation Training Department and for maintaining a level of excellence in both dog training and client instruction. The Manager will provide other departments as needed with training-related support and scheduling staff for home interviews, client follow-up, puppy raising events, and other ancillary duties.
• Ensure that the Training department is adequately staffed and supervised for dog, client, and staff training and organized to assist with home interviews, client instruction, client follow-up, and other ancillary functions.
• Develop and implement staff education and training related to clients, dogs, and instructors encompassing modern technology, training procedures and employee development to foster a high level of excellence. Undertake performance reviews, recruiting and discipline as necessary.
• Ensure sufficient dogs are available for training and class and that quality standards are consistently followed in the final blindfold testing for all class-ready guides.
• Qualified guide dog instructor with a minimum of 3 years’ experience. Managing or supervising experience preferred.
• Ability to travel; work weekends, evenings and holiday, which could include overnights in residence as needed.
• Authorized to work in United States.
• High school diploma or equivalent; B.A. college degree preferred.
• Valid driver’s license in good standing and insurable at normal rates. Must be able to drive car, van or bus.