Holiday Season CareA golden pup laying next to wrapped holiday gifts.

The holiday season can be an exciting time for family get togethers, but it’s also the season for pets to get into trouble.  It's important to be mindful during the holiday season when there are new sights, smells, sounds, and objects to play with. Here are some tips to follow to ensure a cheery holiday season:

  • Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia plants are pet poisons!  Make sure they are kept in places your dog cannot reach. 

  • Remove holiday lights from lower branches of your tree.  They could get hot or the dog may become entangled.

  • Watch out for electrical cords.  Pets may chew them and may get badly shocked or electrocuted.  Place wires out of reach.

  • Be careful using glass ornaments.  They break easily and may cut a dog's feet and mouth.

  • Commercial ornaments may contain paint or toxins in the preservatives - make sure your dog does not attempt to eat them.

  • Whether your tree is live or artificial, both kinds of needles are sharp and indigestible. 

  • Tinsel is dangerous for dogs.  It may obstruct circulation and, if swallowed, block the intestines.

  • Macadamia nuts as well as other nuts including almonds, pecans, and walnuts are toxic for your dog. 
  • Alcohol and chocolate are toxic for dogs, even in small amounts.  Keep unhealthy, sweet treats and seasonal goodies out of reach.

  • With some extra care and vigilance, you and your dog will enjoy a worry-free winter.