The Guide Dog Foundation and America’s VetDogs have a unique employment opportunity for a Special Events Manager at our campus in Smithtown, NY. This position reports to the Director of Development. Our organizations are distinctive in the assistance dog industry providing both guide and multiple types of service dogs.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Special Events Manager will focus on fundraising events that raise revenue for the Guide Dog Foundation (GDF) & America’s VetDogs (AVD). This person will plan, coordinate, and execute all aspects of the annual run & dog walk, golf outing, and canine couture fashion show as well as other events. The Special Events Manager will be responsible for the budget, revenue, and reporting for all special events. They will solicit event sponsorships from corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
The Special Events Manager will host monthly committee meetings to help secure sponsors, in-kind gifts for raffles, and live auction prizes. They will develop and add new events as needed to increase additional funds and awareness. They will also oversee third-party events. The Special Events manager will ensure all deliverables are fulfilled for event sponsorships. They will also participate in public speaking and will develop relationships with community leaders to promote support for GDF/AVD. Flexibility to work weekends and evenings consistent with a front-line fundraising role required. All Development staff are expected to assist with the execution of the annual development plan to support meeting the annual organizational budget.
• Responsible for all aspects of special events including organization, communication, logistics and volunteers.
• Will negotiate all contracts and secure necessary permits for each venue.
• Develop registration and/or ticketing process for events.
• Create and solicit event sponsorships and seek ways to provide recognition for each sponsor.
• Ensure all deliverables for sponsorships are fulfilled
• Solicit individual donors and corporations to sponsor and participate in events.
• Establish a budget and track and report on revenue and expenses
• Work with vendors for graphics, printing, apparel, etc. as needed.
• Strategize ways to increase event participation, revenue, awareness, and volunteer engagement.
• Identify potential major donors affiliated with events, and cultivate relationships.
• Maintain guest lists, mailing schedules, event materials and invitations.
• Work with and manage volunteers and donors for third-party events
• Work in a team environment to effectively represent GDF/AVD and its mission in the community.
• Attend events and meetings on behalf of GDF/AVD.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director of Development or Chief Growth Officer.
• Always aware of safety rules and procedures, ensuring that the functions of this job are done in the safest possible manner and encouraging co-workers to do likewise.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college with 3-5 years of events experience.
• Proficient in database management and Microsoft Office.
• Possess superior communication skills (oral, written, and listening) to be clear and persuasive.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to pay attention to details
• Ability to manage multiple projects.
• Must be a team player.
• Work weekends, evenings, and early mornings, as necessary.
• Local, regional, and national travel, as necessary. Driver license required.
• Position is highly sensitive and requires impeccable personal and professional integrity and discretion.
The employee is required to:
• stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead and bend to the floor
• drive and/or travel
• lift 25 pounds and exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally
Near acuity and accommodation are required for ability to see and read text and copy of written materials for publishing and to read computer screen.
Ability to interact with staff and public in an informal or formal way during events or public speaking.
Employee is exposed to office, kennel, and residence environment. This includes animal hair and dander as well as cleaning and antibacterial cleaning solutions.