The Position - Whelping Team - Part Time
Provides on-call coverage of whelps occurring on campus or in volunteer homes. Assists with the physical care of breeding program dams and neonates in the period of time surrounding a whelp.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Monitors dams in early stages of labor and communicates progress to Breeding Program Coordinator or designated senior staff.
• Monitors whelps and assists as needed with the delivery, resuscitation, and/or physical support of newborn pups.
• Communicates with Breeding Program Coordinator and/or designated veterinary services staff to identify cases that require special professional attention.
• Transports dams, puppies, and supplies as needed to and from veterinary clinics, volunteer homes, or other destinations as directed by the Breeding Program Coordinator.
• Administers medications and/or medical treatments to dams and neonates as directed by the Breeding Program Coordinator
• Records information pertaining to assigned whelps.
• Always aware of safety rules and procedures, ensuring that the functions of this job are done in the safest possible manner and encouraging staff and co-workers to do likewise.
ESSENTIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
• Some college-level coursework in biological sciences, animal science, or veterinary assistance fields (or equivalent life experience) preferred
• Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate via voicemail and email
• Ability to work flexible on-call hours, including holidays, weekends, evenings, and overnights, as needed
• Must have a valid driver’s license
The employee is required to lift, push, and pull dog crates weighing up to 30 pounds, leash walk energetic dogs
weighing up to 85 pounds, and drive a car, van or bus.
Near acuity and accommodation are required for the ability to see and read text and copy of written materials (applications, procedure manual, puppy reports), to publish documents and read a computer screen.
Ability to interact with dogs, employees, students, volunteers, formally or informally.
Employee is subject to outside elements, traffic noise levels as well as inside kennel noise on a daily basis.
Employee is exposed to cleaning and antibacterial solutions in the kennel. Employee is also exposed to animal dander and hair in confined areas such as vans and the kennels.
To apply email your resume to email@example.com. Rate of pay is $17.25 per hour